State of the archive

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed May 10 09:24:21 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 04:49, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Right, I fully agree. I'm sorry if it sounded like I'm advocate to refuxe
> to host packages on ftp.x.org. Really the opposite is true. Instead of
> creating more and more obstacles we should get moving on this.
> Plenty of good reasons have been brought forward here.
> And the actual goal of this discussion was to get more feedback on what
> else should happen to the machines which are presently rather idle.

So, I have cycles to devote to release management processes, since that's, you
know, my day job.  I am in some sense ultimately trusted.  I would really
like to see 7.1 in place on a machine named something.x.org when it releases.
I live like 30 minutes from the x.org machines and can physically go down and
kick them when/if they break.

So why do I not have the ability to log into those machines at all, let alone
root?  Why is it almost two weeks after the start of this thread, with pretty
much unanimous agreement that the current situation with the x.org machines
is broken, with no solution, or even motion?  Who needs the cluebat here?

- ajax