Ati Radeon 7000 / Dell PowerEdge 1850

Michael Krufky mkrufky at m1k.net
Wed May 10 11:02:03 PDT 2006

Freaky wrote:
> Nevermind this one. My collegue mistakenly saw a out of sync for the
> same problem. The TFT couldn't handle the refresh.
>
> Thx tho'. Sorry to bug ya.
I am having what seems to be the same problem, based on what you have
described.  Luckily for me, the odds are much better.  X will start
successfully 4 / 5 times.  When it doesn't start, I have to ssh into the
box from another machine to issue the 'reboot' command, and after
rebooting, things work as expected.

I was having this problem with my Radeon 7500 card, using a Planar 1910
flat panel monitor.  I was also using FC4 with the 2.6.16-1.2096smp
kernel ...  I updated last night to 2.6.16-1.2108smp, and I have only
rebooted once since then, without any problem.  However, due to the
inconsistency of this problem, I am not yet convinced that my my machine
is cured.  I run mythtv on this machine, so I would not consider moving
away from the ati drivers.  (I am using the oss radeon driver with MergedFB)

What did you do to fix it on your machine?

> On 5/8/06, * Freaky* <freaky2000 at gmail.com
> <mailto:freaky2000 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the re. We had it running with vesa indeed. Only the
>     new X/ati driver didn't seem to have any problems, until we
>     updated to a new kernel (there did get some other packages pulled
>     in, don't know exactly which, my collegue did it, did tell him to
>     reinstall the ati from the development repo's).
>
>     Anyways just thought I'd come check here :)
>
>     Going to look myself this afternoon, it will probably  just run vesa.
>
>     Thanks for the re.
>
>     Best regards

Cheers,

Mike