State of the archive

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed May 10 12:42:01 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 13:51, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Adam Jackson writes:
>  > So, I have cycles to devote to release management processes, since
>  > that's, you know, my day job.  I am in some sense ultimately trusted.  I
>  > would really like to see 7.1 in place on a machine named something.x.org
>  > when it releases. I live like 30 minutes from the x.org machines and can
>  > physically go down and kick them when/if they break.
>  >
>  > So why do I not have the ability to log into those machines at all, let
>  > alone root?  Why is it almost two weeks after the start of this thread,
>  > with pretty much unanimous agreement that the current situation with the
>  > x.org machines is broken, with no solution, or even motion?  Who needs
>  > the cluebat here?
>
> There was a cleanup process under way in the release directory on fd.o.
> With this pretty much completed we can start the mirroring process.
>
> This however is different from the 'who gets access to those machines?'
> question.
> The mirroring would remedy the problem of not having latest releases
> (especially security) available on the box - even without anyone needing
> to access the machines.

Right.  My little outburst there was really asking why we don't even have a
bad temporary solution in place.  Obviously I have no desire to be the single
contact point for this, but I'm more than happy to get things moving.

> We however need to resolve some other issue here: the machine is hosted
> in a machine room at MIT. Someone needs to make sure you have access to
> this location and that you are shown around so that you know the machine,
> the facilities and the location.
> This could best be done when putting the other machines sponsored by SUN
> in place as this may require more than one hand to manuver them around.

I had once jokingly suggested that I walk down to MIT and determine their
physical location by wireless ethernet and ping time triangulation.

I really want to see _something_ done before 7.1 release (May 19, for anyone
still not paying attention).  I've got some time I can devote to setup this
weekend, and racking in the Sun boxes would be an excellent start to that.

- ajax