CVS Mesa drivers running on Xorg 7.1 RC2 and Radeon X600

Marek W marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 14 23:47:31 PDT 2006

Greetings,

I have recently upgraded to Xorg 7.1 RC2 on Gentoo. I could not get the ati
drivers working, so I tried the Mesa CVS drivers (current as of 15 May).

I can confirm DRI is working. I am running KDE and I'm getting ~900-1100 fps
when glxgears window is visible, and ~3000-4000 fps when the window is in the
background. I have disabled composite and xinerama. I am pretty sure that
enabling composite severely degrades 3D performance (frame rate drop to about
~150 fps in glxgears).

I have experienced the following issues with the driver.

1) OpenGl texture mapping: certain screensavers don't run. However, I do seem
to remember reading that some texture mapping functionality is not yet
implemented, so that could be the cause.
.
2) Another issue was interrupt related, sound in applications and arts ceased
to work and I found the following dmesg:

[drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
[drm] Loading R300 Microcode
[drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
 [<c013beda>] __report_bad_irq+0x2a/0x90
 [<c013b869>] handle_IRQ_event+0x39/0x70
 [<c013c000>] note_interrupt+0xa0/0x100
 [<c013b954>] __do_IRQ+0xb4/0xc0
 [<c0105629>] do_IRQ+0x19/0x30
 [<c01039c6>] common_interrupt+0x1a/0x20
handlers:
[<f8df6630>] (azx_interrupt+0x0/0xd0 [snd_hda_intel])
[<f8dcd310>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x70 [usbcore])
[<f8f4bcb0>] (ohci_irq_handler+0x0/0x7c0 [ohci1394])
Disabling IRQ #16

Passing irqpoll to the kernel did solve the problem.

I understand that this driver is currently under heavy development so this is
just to let the developers know that the driver does appear to work with yet
another card. I am also willing to help with any testing.

Kind regards,

Marek Wawrzyczny