Graphics Driver Frameworks and Security

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue May 16 03:02:15 PDT 2006

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net wrote:

> For those who haven't seen it yet, there is a nice new flame by Theo de
> Raadt:
>
>    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=114738577123893
>
> While I don't like Theo's tone and assigning blame etc., on the actual
> issue I couldn't agree more.

I disagree with his decision to blame the X developers. The blame for
allowing the X server to access hardware directly lies with the kernel
developers. IOW, this /is/ an OS bug.

Sure, fixing the bug means that X won't work, but it's the kernel
developers who chose to implement the bug on which X depends.

To use Theo's terminology: the kernel developers are a bunch of
shameless X-developer-loving lapdogs.