Graphics Driver Frameworks and Security

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Wed May 17 03:26:34 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 07:24:21AM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:

> Driver frameworks are all good and well, people talk about them all
> the time. But you need to have drivers for a framework to be valid.
>
> X has drivers, and a nice framework, albeit one dated 1996. The only
> way that framework will ever change is by changing all the drivers.
>
> If you want to be valid and want to be talking frameworks then you
> better start writing or rewriting drivers first, from whichever angle
> you're approaching the problem.

Actually porting the drivers is probably the easier part, compared to
designing a good kernel interface, and moving X to the new
infrastructure.

Also, as I already pointed out, there are people willing to do this
work, or at least there used to be -- most are scattered now, due to the
continued missing acceptance. The former KGI attempts did *not* fail
because of lack of people to do the work, but because of lack of
interest in the work they did.

Showing code first and hoping it will be adopted, failed miserably for
KGI. That's why I'm trying the opposite way now: Unless we can expect at
least some support among X developers, there is no point in even
starting to write more code. And the nearly zero resonance my previous
posting(s) on that topic received, isn't exactly encouraging :-(

-antrik-