X security and suid

Jonathan Klay Jonathan.Klay at noaa.gov
Wed May 17 16:41:54 PDT 2006

Thanks for the reply Alan.  It looks as though it might be impossible to
run a graphical workstation on linux under this current Common Criteria
evaluation.

Here are some points from the config. manual (emphasis theirs).
Additional software packages MAY be installed as needed, provided that
they do not conflict with the security
requirements. The security requirements for additional software are:

-SUID root or SGID root programs MUST NOT be added to the system.

-The content, permissions, and ownership of all existing filesystem
objects (including directories and device
nodes) that are part of the evaluated configuration MUST NOT be
modified. Files and directories MAY be
added to existing directories provided that this does not violate any
other requirement.

-Programs automatically launched with root privileges MUST NOT be added
to the system. Exception: processes
that immediately and permanently switch to a non-privileged identity on
launch.

(etc.)

So that's why I considered xdm/gdm unusable.  It seems like in the past
Xwrapper was used to start X then switch to a non-privileged user, but
it looks as if it is no longer used and maybe I misunderstand how it
worked as well.

Jon

--
Thanks,