ATI Mobility X1400

Sebastian Bergmann sb at sebastian-bergmann.de
Fri May 26 10:21:33 PDT 2006

Alan Cox wrote:
> It isn't supported by any of the open source drivers and that doesn't
> seem likely to change. It would probably be best to buy a laptop with
> a different, supported chipset (and also to tell IBM they lost a sale
> so they will pressure ATI to help)

 Although I would prefer a graphics chip that is supported fully by an
 open source driver I am pragmatic enough to use a binary-only driver if
 need be.

 If I cannot find out whether or the binary driver provided by ATI
 supports the features I need (apparently the ATI customer support cannot
 answer my question, too) I will most likely buy a ThinkPad with an
 Intel 945GM graphics chip. This chip appears to be the best supported
 one by open source drivers AFAIK.

 Anyways, thank you for your time and bearing with me,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Bergmann                      http://www.sebastian-bergmann.de/
GnuPG Key: 0xB85B5D69 / 27A7 2B14 09E4 98CD 6277 0E5B 6867 C514 B85B 5D69