-xkbmap removal (Re: CVS Update: xserver (branch: trunk))

Piter PUNK piterpk at terra.com.br
Mon May 29 08:31:26 PDT 2006

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 08:35:53AM -0600, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
>> Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Log message:
>>>  Remove -xkbmap argument.
>> Why? While I haven't used it recently (so it may have been broken --
>> which could be a good reason to remove it), i was a convenient way to
>> setup the keyboard layout for X servers running without a configuration
>> file. Is there any alternative that I missed?
>
> Good point about servers without config files, but I think we should fix
> that a little better.  I guess setxkbmap would be better, but failing
> that, a command-line option to set the layout by RMLVO would be better
> than passing in a pre-defined keymap.

When you CAN use setxkbmap. Sometimes the keyboard map is all changed
and you can't find the _, - or " signs. Or maybe the letters are in
different positions. Think with me, if i use one azerty keyboard and
when i start X the default map is a "us" one; i will be with problems
trying to find the right letters and symbols to type any command.

Piter PUNK