fixing the recurring Mesa build problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 13:48:06 PST 2006

On 11/4/06, Brian Paul <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > Attached is a patch that creates a new file, GL/mesa-include.mk. This
> > file is included in the Makefile.am's. It contains the includes for
> > the Mesa source. It also adds a few dummy targets so that the symlink
> > script can call it. It's just a start to show a way this could work.
> > Diff is against xserver HEAD.

<snip>

> > 2. The sources files from Mesa only list the c files, and not the
> > headers. This is different than the current scheme that links in all
> > the .c and .h files. The xserver sources currently expect the headers
> > to be in the build directory. I can see two ways to resolve this
> > problem.
> >
> > The Mesa sources files can be appended to list the headers as well,
> > possibly in MESA_*_HEADERS variables. Then they can be symlinked in as
> > they are now. That puts the onus on the Mesa developers to keep the
> > sources files current with the headers, too.
>
> That's perfectly fine.

Alright. I went ahead and added them into Mesa, but I just added all
the headers from find. You should look at the diff and prune out any
unnecessary ones.

> > Anyway, I hope this helps solve the problem a bit.
>
> Looks good to me, but like I said before, I'm not an expert with
> autoconf (who is?).  If someone else can review this too, that'd be great.
>
> I may be off-line all next week so if it's confirmed that this'll
> work, feel free to go ahead with it.

I went ahead and fleshed out everything. I still didn't try building
since I don't have recent enough libraries and headers to build
xserver HEAD.

Attached is a diff for xserver that uses the Mesa sources files to
create symlinks to and build its source files. The second diff is
what's needed in Mesa for the xserver to pull in all the headers. The
xserver diffs can also be pulled from my home repo:

git://git.dwcab.com/~dan/xserver.git

If someone with a real knowledge of the xserver/mesa source could try
this out and see if it's broken, that would be nice.

--
Dan