HD with Xvideo on i915GM (i810 driver)

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:44:05 PST 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 14:34, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 14:29 -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:
> > Part of the issue, at least in the ATI-nVidia world, is that the
> > hardware
> > itself infringes on some patents and releasing docs and/or source code
> > (for
> > that part of the chip) would advertise to the patent holder that there
> > was
> > infringement.
>
> Are you talking about their GPU in general, or the their motion
> compensation engine in particular?

I read somewhere that XvMC has patent problems. Whether those extend to the
actual hardware or are restricted to the software only I do not know.

It is often postulated that (one of) the reason(s) ATI and nVidia do not
publish open source drivers is to maintain the detente that currently exists
between the two WRT patents.

--
Andrew Barr

Men go crazy in congregations they only get better one by one.
	-- Sting, "All This Time" (The Soul Cages, 1991)