Xt translated labels ?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Nov 8 02:18:29 PST 2006

Glynn Clements, le Wed 08 Nov 2006 04:45:22 +0000, a écrit :

> Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
> > > The default search path for app-defaults (and similar) files is:
> > >
> > > 	/usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%C%S:\
> > > 	/usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%C%S:\
> > > 	/usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:\
> > > 	/usr/lib/X11/%L/%T/%N%S:\
> > > 	/usr/lib/X11/%l/%T/%N%S:\
> > > 	/usr/lib/X11/%T/%N%S
> > >
> > > Note that the application will only use the first matching file,
> >
> > We have a problem with this default: this is not sufficient, it should
> > also include %l_%t.%c, %l.%c and %l_%t between %L and %l.
>
> %L is equivalent to %l_%t.%c. At least, in practice;

Well, in recent localized unices, you may have a @modifier part, but
let's forget that for now.

> You can always override the search path via $XFILESEARCHPATH
> (similarly, $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH for per-user files).

Yes, I can do this in my own Linux distribution.  But people will
probably not start to translate Xt applications (for all unices) unless
there is a common way to ship the appropriately localized translations
in correct charsets.

The current default fails to achieve this: if I want for instance my
application to ship app-defaults for all of
- ca.UTF-8 for general catalan translation with UTF-8 fancies
- ca_SP.UTF-8 for spanish catalan translation with UTF-8 fancies
- ca for general catalan translation for 8bit systems
- ca_SP for spanish catalan translation for 8bit systems

with the default filesearchpath, a ca_FR.UTF-8 locale will find ca
(8bits), not ca.UTF-8, resulting in garbage in the application text...

Samuel