XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap fails

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Nov 8 10:05:56 PST 2006

I'm attempting to debug a problem with a graphics display program (qiv,
if that matters) which I did not write. When I moved my installation
from Fedora Core 5 to Fedora Core 6, XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap fails,
with the following message from the server:

   Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

The man page for XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap says:

   BadMatch  Some argument or pair of arguments has the correct type and
             range but fails to match in some other way required by the
             request.

   BadMatch  An InputOnly window locks this attribute.

I've verified that the window was created with a class of InputOutput.

The major change in moving from FC5 to FC6 was moving to X version
7.1.1. The other libraries involved are gtk+-1.2.10 and imlib-1.9.13,
neither of which have changes substantially (both legacy).

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed with debugging the
problem.

Thanks.