Rotate a desktop with i810

mansour77 at yahoo.com mansour77 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 18:03:36 PST 2006

Hello every body:
I am really struggling for the last few days trying to rotate my desktop
to a portrait mode. How do I do this? is there any clear, step by step
documentation?
I am using fedora 5 on P4 64.

 /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 945G/P Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 945G Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Here's what I was able to achieve:
I rotated the desktop by adding the following lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "Intel Corporation 945G Integrated Graphics Controller"
        Option      "RandRRotation" "on"
        Card        "i810 915G"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
        Option  "Rotate"        "CW"
        Option  "SWCursor"      "on"
EndSection

Not much luck, as the monitor rotated, but not the desktop, Gnome was
there but horizontal, I mean it didn't  adjust the dimensions for the
desktop.
These are  other things I tried:
 xrandr -o 1
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  156 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
  Serial number of failed request:  12

then I tried:
 i810rotate
PCI id of i810 is not recognized.
PCI id of i810 is not recognized.

Any help please ??
Or at least a place where I can get help ?? As you can see my card is
intel integrated. My Monitor is Acer 22". Resolution 1280x1024.