MPX is becoming stable

Wed Nov 15 14:53:18 PST 2006

On 15/11/2006, at 22:34 , Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> For us poor unknowing souls would you mind to explain what MPX
> actually
> is?

It has been answered already but I guess I should answer it as well.

MPX is the Multi-Pointer X server. A modified version of X.org (a
patch for X11R7.1) to have multiple mouse cursors. Rather than
merging all devices into one cursor, MPX keeps a cursor per device,
with up to at least 18 independent cursors. In theory, it supports
more, but 18 was the maximum I have tested so far.

Each of the cursors behaves like a core pointer and like an XI
device, sending both types of events.

MPX is compatible to X.org, so you can put it in place of your X
server and unless you plug in and configure multiple mice, you should
not notice the difference*.

There is a bit more info on
http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx

Cheers,