Merge branch 'master' ??

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Nov 17 04:46:18 PST 2006

On Nov 14, 06 18:29:49 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 11:09 -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > See the commit email at:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-commit/2006-November/009457.html
> >
> > It has:
> >
> >   Merge branch 'master' of git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver
> >
> > I don't know what caused that.
>
> You probably ran git-pull (which does more than people tend to expect)
> when you already had your change committed locally.
>
> > Is that a problem?
>
> It is a problem (if minor) IMO because it clutters up the revision
> history in gitk. It can be avoided using git-fetch and git-rebase
> instead of git-pull.

Be sure to

a) have git >= 1.4

b) have the commit message in the form
   <subject>
   <empty line>

otherwise you might end up having your commit messages mangled. This
happened once to me.

Other than that I very much agree that rebasing is better than merging
in most cases.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __