How to determine modular paths?

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Sun Nov 19 18:04:11 PST 2006

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, David Nusinow wrote:

> This brings up a good point. The patch in discussion only prints the
> default path, but the ModulePath directive in xorg.conf can change this
> path. ModulePath has given us (Debian) well over a dozen bug reports for an
> option I'm not sure anyone really uses or even wants.  Would it be all
> right if I just make the config parser ignore ModulePath, so that this
> patch actually has some meaning and we get rid of xorg.conf bloat?

I started to write a really good argument for dumping it.

Then I remembered Xvnc.

That got me to thinking about some of the less-common applications of
servers (i.e. X terminals) and now I'm not so sure.  If ModulePath is
complimented by sufficient options to make the server completely
relocatable, then it should probably stay.  If not, it should probably go.