fixing the recurring Mesa build problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 07:54:12 PST 2006

On 11/21/06, Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 13:34 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On 11/20/06, Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, they only really need to be known at build time. The problem
> > > is how to have automake use an external list of files at that time.
> >
> > But, that would add a build time dependency on automake, right?
>
> Not necessarily, if automake has a mechanism for this kind of thing.

I was looking over the automake manual last night, and I think there
might be support for this, but I'm not sure. Seems BUILT_SOURCES might
be a workaround:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_mono/automake.html#Sources

But that seems to still expect the names of the files to be known when
automake runs. I probably don't understand this correctly, but this
other section seems to imply that you can put off the dependency
tracking until build time:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_mono/automake.html#Dependencies

I don't know if that's a good idea for the whole xserver tree, though.
I think that an autotools guru could solve this problem. Someone
should ask on the automake list.

--
Dan