Fwd: i810, MergedFB, wrong freq for external LCD

Csillag Kristof fenwick at freemail.hu
Mon Nov 27 03:17:17 PST 2006

Hi there!

I am working on a Dell Latitude D620 notebook, build with an intel 945GM
video controller.

I have successfully configured dual-monitor layout, but this way I can
not get DRI working on the second screen, so I would like to use
MergedFB instead. (I like dragging objects through the border, anyway.)

MergedFB is working, too: The two monitors are merged, and all is well
- except that the second display (the extranal 1680x1050 one) is driven
on the wrong freqency, so it can not properly sync no the signal, so the
image is distorted. (The monitor's OSD says it's driven at 66 Hz, while
it can only use 60Hz with this mode.)

This problem did not occur when I was using the earlier dual screen
layout. (Two independent screens.)

My setup looks like this:

I keep the 1680x1050 monitor above the 1440x900 built-in TFT.
This gives the virtual size of 1680x1950.

I know that the external LCD returns correct EDID information, so the
driver should know how to drive it. I have also entered a
"SecondMonitorVertRefresh" option "56-61", which should limit the
vertical refresh to 61 Hz, but it seems to be ignored.

   * * *

What can I do to get this right?

I have the exact modeline that should be used to drive the external
display, but how can I pass it to MergedFB? (I see no SecondModile
option.)

  * * *

I am attaching two server logs; one from the dual-screen layout (where
all is fine, except that there is no dragging-to-the-other-screen and
DRI), and one with the MergedFB layout, where the sync problem occurs.
My xorg.conf (containing both layouts) is also attached.

Could someone please help me?

   Kristof Csillag

--
Csillag Kristof <fenwick at freemail.hu>