extended screen real estate under xorg (xinerama?)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 06:23:43 PST 2006

On 11/30/06, Kevin Martin <kevintm at ameritech.net> wrote:
> Running FC5 with Xorg on an Acer laptop and was wondering if there is a way to make the screen real estate seem larger (basically be
> able to have a virtual screen that is much larger than my physical screen, effectively making my 14" screen display as a 30"
> display)?  I've read some about Xinerama but that seems to be for using multiple screens, not making my tiny screen "virtually"
> huge.  The Video card is an ATI X1300 Mobility and I'm running ATI's Linux driver.
>
> Thanks for any and all information.

Assuming fglrx supports it, all you need to do is set up a virtual
desktop.  Add this line to the display subsection of the screen
section of your X config:
Virtual xres yres
e.g.,
virtual 1920 1024
etc.
This will allocate a large framebuffer and the crtc will be a smaller
window that looks into and moves around the bigger framebuffer.

Alex