via k8m890 very slow with vesa

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Nov 30 13:08:37 PST 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 08:02, Roland Scheidegger wrote:

> That's pretty drastic. I've just tried it with 7.2 and it's still very
> slow. Since only operations seems to be affected which have to read from
> fb, but not write (so copy from window to pixmap is slow, pixmap to
> window is not), it looks to me like something goes wrong wrt shadowfb,
> which afaik should prevent having to ever read from framebuffer (though
> I could be wrong).

I think we hit this in Fedora a while back.  The issue was that vesa was
setting up the framebuffer shadow wrong, effectively not using it but just
drawing straight to the framebuffer.  Yow.

I could have sworn I'd pushed the patch for that upstream, but apparently not.
Updating now though, I'll release the new one momentarily.

- ajax