xorg widescreen problem

Moritz Lutz moritz.lutz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 07:16:41 PDT 2006

Hi there,

i bought a new TFT today the Samsung SyncMaster 205BW. At first i want to
try it out on my laptop with not that big sucsess.

i got this Xorg config there :

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    RgbPath     "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/encodings"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/util"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/artwiz-fonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "freetype"
#    Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Samsung"
    ModelName    "SyncMaster 205BW"
    Option       "dpms"
    # Important. At least on my setup it doesn't detect the size
    # If not specified, the fonts may look very tiny.
    # Numbers found on a random web site using Google.
    DisplaySize  1000 400

    #
    # Those are the magic values that make it all work.
    #
    HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh  56.0 - 63.0
    ## This allowed for resolutions in the 19AAxBBBB
    ## See also the Virtual directive in Display subsection below
    #VertRefresh 56.0 - 83.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device0"
    # Other important bit. The radeon driver is mature enough, as been said
in #xorg
    Driver      "savage"
    VendorName  "ATI"
    BoardName   "ATI Radeon 8500LE"
    # Options recommended on dri.freedesktop.org
    #Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    #Option "AGPMode" "1"
    #Option "AGPFastWrite" "1"
    #Option "EnablePageFlip" "1"
    #Option "ColorTiling" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Device0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        # Fix the viewable area to 1680x1050, or something

        Virtual     1680 1050
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

#Section "DRI"
#    Group       0
#    Mode        0666
#EndSection

The screen starts but not the hole screen is on the display i have to move
to the right and then the end of the display appers. The strange thing is
the resolution of 1600x1200 works well everything is on the screen but its
not optimized for the tft so the fonts looks ugly,

If i try the config above on a pc with a ati graka and the ati driver the
screen looks great.

Maybe some of you got a trick for me to get the tft working with my

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/MX-MV (rev 11)

card,

Thanks in advance

Moritz Lutz