[Xorg] Dual screen/ clone problem on 915GM

Gautam Iyer gautam at math.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 4 01:38:11 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 09:23:28AM +0200, Millerand Fabien wrote:

> I've tried to get working a second screen (LCD Samsung SyncMaster 913N)
> on the output of my Laptop (Sony
> vgn-FJ170). But I still cannot make it working properly.
> I got help with this page:
>
>         http://intellinuxgraphics.org/man.htm
>
> The best thing I had was a very low resolution on the Samsung panel, but
> nothing on the laptop...
> my xorg.conf is in attachment.
>
> I thing my best problem is that I don't know what to use as
>     Option "MonitorLayout" ... what is DFP,FLP,....

I have had *hell* with the i915gm chip: Here's what I did to fix things:

    1. Disable all accelaration (Option NoAccel)
    2. Always put "CRT" on pipe A (e.g. MonitorLayout "CRT,LFP")
    3. Use the version from 0.7.1 or later (there's a bug in the i810
       driver in 0.7.0 which was fixed in the CVS and the 0.7.1 branch).

Now everything works well for me (provided I connect my second monitor
at boot time).

GI

--
640K ought to be enough for anybody. (Bill Gates, 1981)