dualhead-multires-2nd monitor unplugged- first display ??

Jacob Zachariah jacob_z at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 19:23:25 PDT 2006

I followed the instructions below to get a dualhead
nvidia card running multiple resolutions on my RH-EL
system (X-6.8.2, nvidia 76.76 drivers)

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8174/README/64bit_html/appendix-p.html

Things work fine when both are plugged to the card.

But if the second monitor is unplugged, I don't get
the first device's display, instead i *always and
only* get the second devices display.

But the Login prompts appear on device 1 which I never
get to see if only 1 monitor is plugged, rendering
things unusable.

How do I fix it so that no matter which monitor is
plugged into which slot, If only one monitor is
connected, the first Device is ALWAYS shown ?

Thanks in advance..

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by
nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0
(buildmeister at builder3)  Mon May 15 13:23:42 PDT 2006

# XFree86 4 configuration created by
redhat-config-xfree86

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
#    Screen      1  "Screen1" Below "Screen0"

    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note,
this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath        "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "ddc"
    Load           "vbe"

    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "fbdevhw"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse
then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to
let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
    Identifier     "DevInputMice"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "Dell M992"
#    DisplaySize     350    260
    HorizSync       30.0 - 75.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
    Option         "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName     "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Driver       "nvidia"
    BusID        "PCI:2:0:0"
    Identifier     "device0"
    VendorName     "Vesa"
    BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
    Screen   0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Driver       "nvidia"
    BusID        "PCI:2:0:0"
    Identifier     "device1"
    VendorName     "Vesa"
    BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
#    Option "IgnoreEDID" "True"
    Screen   1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    16
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes      "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"