Physical ouptut sizes

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Oct 6 07:31:28 PDT 2006

On Oct 06, 06 13:31:21 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 22:54 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> > With the current RandR 1.2 proposed spec, mode information includes
> > physical sizes. This seems entirely bogus to me; modes don't have
> > physical size, monitors have physical size.
> >
> > How about I move physical size as a property of the output instead of
> > the mode? We would use 0x0 for outputs without a specific size (just as
> > EDID reports them).
>
> How about being able to specify a "pseudo" physical size, for
> videoprojectors ? I mean, when on such a display, I'd like e.g. Impress
> to believe it's on a 14" monitor, to have big readable fonts.
> Whatever the mean, it would be a good thing.

But that is actually a deficiency in the font scaling system, which
tries to get the same font size in meter (well, mm in fact), independent
of the screen resolution. The IMHO cleaner solution would be to either
have a desired standard font size, or some sort of a general font
scaling factor.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __