Physical ouptut sizes

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Oct 6 10:31:00 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 13:31 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> How about being able to specify a "pseudo" physical size, for
> videoprojectors ? I mean, when on such a display, I'd like e.g. Impress
> to believe it's on a 14" monitor, to have big readable fonts.
> Whatever the mean, it would be a good thing.

That's already supported; you can set the screen physical size to any
value you like and applications should use that to compute text sizes
(and they do, mostly). I'd also like to report the physical monitor size
(which, for projectors, EDID specs as 0 x 0) in case applications are
interested in the 'real' size of the screen.

keith.packard at intel.com