GMA950 and slow 3D

Joonas Saarinen jza at saunalahti.fi
Sun Oct 8 06:46:31 PDT 2006

Hello everyone!

I have a laptop with the Intel GMA950 graphics controller and I am
trying to get the 3D acceleration to work.

The strange thing is that everything looks fine - the kernel DRI modules
are in place, Xorg driver works, glxinfo reports direct rendering as
enabled, and so on. However it seems that no hardware acceleration is
really being used at all and everything is software-drawn. Even the
basic OpenGL screensavers have a high CPU usage and games are
unplayable.

I have tried upgrading the i810 driver and Mesa stuff to their newest
versions without any luck. Xorg version is 7.1.1 and Linux kernel is
2.6.17.13.

As some other notes, I perceived some xf86AllocateGARTMemory errors in
Xorg log. I tried bumping the VideoRam up to 131072 with no difference.
Also I get several "AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual (n)"
warnings.

By the way, is the GLcore module required? In Debian Xorg configuration
it seems to be absent by default. Adding it gives a undefined symbol
error related to __glapi_Dispatch and the module never gets loaded.
Possibly some Debian breakage...

Any help or hints will be appreciated.