[Patch] Improved mouse acceleration

Simon Thum simon.thum at mni.fh-giessen.de
Mon Oct 9 08:42:35 PDT 2006

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 09:03:39PM +0000, Simon Thum wrote:
>> By introducing a coefficient in xorg.conf you can make two attached devices
>> feel similar, as is often the case on laptops. (untested)
>
> I'm not qualified at all to comment on the quality/correctness of the
> X code, as I'm just a user of all this stuff.  This feature alone
> would be amazing to have.  I've got a USB mouse and a PS/2 trackpoint
> on my desktop computer.  Setting the acceleration high enough to make
> the TrackPoint usable makes the mouse too fast for most things.
>> The simple acceleration curve (threshold > 0) is now steady, but a function
>> steady also over its derivative(s) would be preferred. Also, it does not
>> support adaptive deceleration since it won't go below 1.
>
> I'm playing around with this.  When you say "steady", do you
> mean that f(1) = 1, for any value of acceleration?

f(1) = 1 is nice, but not accociated with steady(ness) (i'm not sure of
the word, maybe continuous is better).
steady basically means there are no sudden jumps in the funtion, which
is not true for the mentioned simple acceleration curves derivatives.

BTW someone an Idea why the patch was posted as follow-up of 'Problem
with 2560x1600 monitor', which I had not seen before?
Should I repost?