server-1.2-branch accidentally merged with master

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Oct 9 21:53:41 PDT 2006

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:40:26 -0600, Ray Lehtiniemi wrote:
>   # save a ref to the bad branch tip
>   $ git tag keepme server-1.2-branch
>
>   # reset the branch back to where it should be
>   $ git update-ref refs/heads/server-1.2-branch
> b8596aff00afa8b2641f46d14aca444ce712ccc0
>
>   # see if things look sane
>   $ gitk server-1.2-branch master
>
>   # if so, get rid of the temporary ref to the branch tip
>   $ git tag -d keepme
>
>   # if not, restore the bad branch tip and ask a git grown-up :-)
>   $ git update-ref refs/heads/server-1.2-branch keepme

How 'bout that. The update-ref command is one I've never used
manually. I likely would have done the above as follows, which might
be a touch simpler:

  # checkout the branch to be manipulated
  $ git checkout server-1.2-branch

  # save a ref to the bad branch tip
  $ git tag keepme

  # reset the branch back to where it should be
  $ git reset --hard b8596aff00afa8b2641f46d14aca444ce712ccc0

  # see if things look sane
  $ gitk HEAD master

  # if so, get rid of the temporary ref to the branch tip
  $ git tag -d keepme

  # if not, restore the bad branch tip and ask a git grown-up :-)
  $ git reset --hard keepme

I should point out that I've never looked at the relevant branches or
commits here. I'm only commenting on git command usage.

-Carl