Physical ouptut sizes

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Oct 10 03:17:37 PDT 2006

On Oct 09, 06 11:15:55 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:15:52 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> > I don't like this 'perceived DPI' als the only way of telling this -
> > there are times where you want to make a line *exactly* 10cm long, no
> > matter in which environment - e.g. in CAD.
>
> I'm curious about the use case here. Are you imagining a scenario
> where physical objects are directly involved with graphics being
> displayed? I'm not personally familiar with many use cases that have
> that kind of direct involvement.

In IMHO decreasing relevance order, and not exhaustive:

- Layout systems, displaying A4 or Executive paper in real size.
  Actually, some kind of visualization. Used to get a feeling how the
  overall page impression is. Professional layouters use this technique
  a lot. Sometimes I can imagine they even use rules (real-life ;) in
  order to measure something, or comparing size changes to a real
  printout.
- Visualization packages. Car manifactures e.g. use powerwalls in order
  to see virtual cars in real size. They want the model to be size exact
  down to the millimeter.
  Usually these systems are handtuned and using OpenGL, but still we
  should be aware of this use case.
- As you mentioned it: Augmented reality. Though right now these systems
  are handtuned ATM, and not really production-ready.

CU

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __