Physical ouptut sizes

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Oct 10 03:21:23 PDT 2006

On Oct 06, 06 10:33:51 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 12:06 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
>
> > Well, if running a 16:9 mode on a 4:3 monitor, you do have a physical
> > (sub-)size that is different to the monitor...
>
> Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. We could punt and just report the
> 'maximum' size as EDID does. I'd hate to try and figure out precisely
> what a monitor is going to do with an arbitrary modeline; CRTs often
> shift images around, and of course, LCDs often do weird things with
> analog signals.

I don't think we will have the possibility to know that w/o user
intervenience. Well, maybe for LCDs (scaling or not).

> Does this matter much?

It bothered me some time ago, when I switched my CRT from 1024x768 for
regular use to 1280x720 for HDTV (early days of HDTV), had my monitor
configured to have a 1:1 pixel aspect in all cases - and had to tune the
aspect ratio in mplayer manually for this use case.

Nothing too dramatic, and I guess the main use case is not existent any
more, but in a new design this might be something to consider.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         mat at mshopf.de