xserver: Branch 'master'

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 07:53:59 PDT 2006

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 05:25:20PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>>>     Use bash on Solaris to run symlink-mesa.sh
>>
>> If this is just the *.{c,h} thing, the better fix is to expand that by
>> hand.  I did that, but haven't pushed yet, mumble lack of DSL at home
>> mumble.
>
> No, this is from three other issues in symlink-mesa.sh that Solaris Bourne
> Shell doesn't like:
>
> 1) " if [ -z $1 ] " causes the script to exit with "test: argument
> expected"
>    if $1 is indeed empty.   This could be fixed by quoting $1 so it always
>    sees an argument:
>     if [ -z "$1" ]
>
> 2) "echo -n" - in the ancient BSD vs. SysV echo split, Solaris still
> follows
>    SysV in /bin/echo & /bin/sh ("\c" to suppress newline, "echo -n foo"
> prints
>    "-n foo").   configure has code to test for this and use it, so that
> could
>    be copied to symlink-mesa.sh.
>
> 3) If you fix both of the above, the script still fails since in the
> action()
>    function, $ACTION is unset, so it ends up attempting to execute every
> .c &
>    .h file in Mesa.   I don't know why this is, and the only way I found to
>    fix this was to use something more modern than our classic bourne shell.

If anyone cares to play around with a compatible shell on Linux, you can
try out the Heirloom shell. It's from OpenSolaris and ported to Linux,
so it _is_ the Bourne shell.

http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/sh.html

When I was playing with the fix I sent in for symlink-mesa.sh, I noticed
a bunch of the same problems as Alan when forcing use of this shell. But
I kept my mouth shut thinking it must not have been an issue so far.

I think it would be nice if this script was unconditionally run with
bash if what ajax checked in is going to be around for a while.

All the `basename' calling could go away by just using parameter
expansion, ${src##*/}.

--
Dan