Commenting XF86keysym.h

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Oct 12 00:26:37 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 03:27:42PM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> On my way toward adding keysyms for OLPC, it was clear it would only be
> responsible if I tried to better comment XF86keysym.h, since some of
> what we'll be doing is appropriately defined there.
>
> At one point, X.Org decided that the "right thing to do" was to accept
> the XFree86 set of keysyms as part of the X standard.  We will stay out
> of that address space for any new keysyms we add.

I don't know when that was, which is probably why I haven't been
adhering to it, but I'm happy to carve off the 0x1009 space for us.

IIRC they're still at mail-archive.com.

> In any case, I took my best stab at commenting the file.  Lines I'm less
> than pretty sure about I put "??" in the comments.  If anyone knows what
> was intended, please let me know.  I'll commit these once people have
> had a chance to comment.

OK for me.  If you feel like committing it, I'll deal with a new xproto
release in a couple of weeks.  I had a couple more things to add, but
forgot what they were.  I'll remember by then, though.

> #define XF86XK_ScreenSaver      0x1008FF2D   /* Toggle screensaver         */

s/Toggle/Invoke/.

> #define XF86XK_AudioMedia	0x1008FF32   /* ????                       */

Something like 'bring up iTunes'.  Show your media collection.

> #define XF86XK_iTouch		0x1008FF60   /* ??                          */

Logitech iTouch key, a la Compaq Q.  Generally user-customisable.

> #define XF86XK_MySites		0x1008FF67   /* ?? */

Favourites?

> #define XF86XK_OfficeHome	0x1008FF6A   /* ?? */

Think early StarOffice, when it gave you a home screen.

> #define XF86XK_ScrollClick	0x1008FF7A   /* ?? */

Probably a scrollwheel click, but XKB mouse keys fixes that.

> #define XF86XK_TaskPane		0x1008FF7F   /* ?? */

I guess 'the Exposé key'.

> #define XF86XK_Travel		0x1008FF82   /* ?? */

Expedia.

> #define XF86XK_WheelButton	0x1008FF88   /* button from a mouse wheel */

Same as ScrollClick?

> #define XF86XK_Ungrab		0x1008FE20   /* Ungrab vs. ClearGrab????   */
> #define XF86XK_ClearGrab	0x1008FE21

I can't remember which is which, but one will axe all existing keyboard
and pointer grabs, and the other will kill all clients holding a grab.
It's an XFree86 DDX-specific action right now.

Cheers,
Daniel