7.2 RC1

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Oct 13 16:09:48 PDT 2006

Due to relativistic time dilation, RC1 is happening a week later than
planned.  The release schedule is shifted whole by a week to compensate:

RC1: October 13
RC2: November 3
RC3: November 17
Release: November 24

I may end up shifting that a bit more to account for Thanksgiving
holiday.  We'll see!

Most components got a version bump for RC1, and are available at:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/development/X11R7.2-RC1/

as well as in the usual spot under /releases/individual.  Note that this
contains _only_ updated components; for everything else, use 7.1.

Proper release announcements for the bumped components will follow
later, once I figure a way to script sending them - I really wish
Evolution spoke dcop - and once it's not Friday evening.

Modules that have not been bumped but maybe should have been:

proxymngr, xcalc, xconsole, xload, xphelloworld, xf86-video-ast,
xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-vmware, xf86-video-wsfb, xorg-docs, util-cf,
util-makedepend

xcalc, xconsole and xload don't distcheck properly due to app-default
hilarity.  Given my general loathing for the sample apps, if someone
doesn't superhero them into distchecking I'm just not going to bother
with them for 7.2.  ast doesn't build for me at all, but looks like just
header noise.  ati has a bunch of churn; will the non-maintainer please
advise.  vmware looks like it has unstable changes; maintainer, please
advise.  wsfb I can't build for lack of BSD machine; if it needs a
release, someone from the BSD camp kindly make one.  Everything else is
probably fine.

The RANDR 1.2 work has _not_ landed for RC1; eh.  I'll hammer on it for
RC2, possibly sneaking out another server containing it.

Test!

- ajax