7.2 RC1

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 09:37:55 PDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> Due to relativistic time dilation, RC1 is happening a week later than
> planned.  The release schedule is shifted whole by a week to compensate:
>
> RC1: October 13
> RC2: November 3
> RC3: November 17
> Release: November 24
>
> I may end up shifting that a bit more to account for Thanksgiving
> holiday.  We'll see!
>
> Most components got a version bump for RC1, and are available at:
>
> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/development/X11R7.2-RC1/
>
> as well as in the usual spot under /releases/individual.  Note that this
> contains _only_ updated components; for everything else, use 7.1.
>
> Proper release announcements for the bumped components will follow
> later, once I figure a way to script sending them - I really wish
> Evolution spoke dcop - and once it's not Friday evening.
>
> Modules that have not been bumped but maybe should have been:
>
> proxymngr, xcalc, xconsole, xload, xphelloworld, xf86-video-ast,
> xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-vmware, xf86-video-wsfb, xorg-docs, util-cf,
> util-makedepend
>
> xcalc, xconsole and xload don't distcheck properly due to app-default
> hilarity.  Given my general loathing for the sample apps, if someone
> doesn't superhero them into distchecking I'm just not going to bother
> with them for 7.2.  ast doesn't build for me at all, but looks like just
> header noise.  ati has a bunch of churn; will the non-maintainer please
> advise.  vmware looks like it has unstable changes; maintainer, please

ati git head (radeon at least) is definitely not ready for release we
are in the midst of a major re-work of the output system, so I suspect
there will be some regressions until we get things fully baked.  The
recent mach64 changes require a newer libdrm which hasn't released
yet.  r128 hasn't really seen any changes since the last release,
although I do plan to fix up the output handling similar to radeon (or
perhaps merge with radeon) at some point.

Alex