Working quad display suggestions

Brad Best bbest at archelon-de.com
Tue Oct 17 02:34:27 PDT 2006

We have 20 setups with either 6 or 8 screens.  Most are running with
radeon 7000
pci cards, some with nVidia Geforce 6200 pci cards.  The only difference
in the two setups
seems to be the memory usage of the Xserver with the radeon cards, both
setups need
a good bit of memory (we have 1 GB in the boxes), but the radeon cards
seem to use more than the nVidia setups.
A config with only four screens should not have any problems, though,
Xinerama's memory
usage doesn't start to be a problem until we have 8 or 9 screens.
I have no experience whatsoever with 3d acceleration, and I'm not sure
how newer versions
of X are with this, running 6.8.2 and tested on some older ones, haven't
retested in a while on a newer
version...

brad