disconnect from board to active developers

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 16:43:58 PDT 2006

Hi,

First up, I'd like to have ran for the board, but I've had some other
things get in the way of late and I'm not a fully employed X developer
which means my time on X is clearly defined by my free time and my
girlfriend :-), also in the past I've received travel funding from
X.org to go to XDC which I appreciated....

I'd like to ask the potential board members some questions...

1) X.org has limited funds gotten from company sponsorships, I'd like
to know what plans for those funds the nominees would have?

2) Due to fact that we have a limited budget, how does your current
employer feel about your X.org contributions and will funding for
X.org related travel come from your employer or the X.org funds?

3) X.org attends a number of "industry" events, like Linuxworld I
believe, do you feel this is necessary for what is primarily a
development oriented foundation? or that funds would be better placed
elsewhere at organising developer meets...

4) These seems to be a major disconnect between the X.org and
freedesktop.org organisations (particularly around security
releases...), at times it seems like the board forgets that we have
freedesktop.org hosting a lot of our services and goes and does things
itself which usually would be much quicker done with fd.o support,
most of the fd.o admins are X.org members, none of the X.org admins
are active developers from what I know...  do you believe that the
X.org board should be involved in these decisions or should the
administration of those machines be handled by a separate admin team?
(i.e. >1 person)...

Dave.