HD with Xvideo on i915GM (i810 driver)

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Oct 18 21:33:41 PDT 2006

I find that all of the video players (vlc, xine, mytthv) can't display
HD video on my Intel 915GM based laptop running with the i810 driver.
xine and myth show blue screens, vlc reports

X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
   Major opcode of failed request:  142 (XVideo)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()

I imagine all of them are seeing the same issue with XVideo at HD
resolution. The problem is independent of the resolution of the display,
and is function of the source resolution.

Any way around this?

vlc on windows on the same hardware manages, but of course its not using X.