i810/intel, SDVO, and "fuzzy" modes

Jeffrey W. Baker jwbaker at acm.org
Thu Oct 19 20:25:24 PDT 2006

Can someone on the Intel team comment on why the SDVO cards generate
"fuzzy" modes.  Thanks to other members of this list I finally have a
working 1920x1200 digital mode on my G965, and it's amazingly bad.  At
1600x1200 analog the picture is perfectly crisp.  But at either
1600x1200 or 1920x1200 digital, it's appalling.  There's no way this is
working correctly.  Somewhere along the line, some piece of hardware is
resampling the picture.

I know it's hard to tell from a photograph, but this one is high
resolution and you can see the individual grid lines on my monitor.
Note how what are supposed to be 1px sharp lines take up 2px.

http://tastic.brillig.org/~jwb/fuzzy.png
http://tastic.brillig.org/~jwb/clear.png

By the way, the monitor reports 1920x1200 74.2kHz/60Hz.

Any hints?  This whole SDVO thing is really quite mysterious to us mere
users.

-jwb