i810 modesetting trouble

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Oct 19 23:16:52 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 19:54 +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:38:52PM -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> > I have a Fujitsu S7000 laptop with a 915GM chip. I want to use it with
> > an external monitor at higher res than the built in 1024x768 lcd screen.
> > Windows can do this at 1600x1200, on my Dell 1920x1200 native external
> > monitor. I run Suse 10.1.
> >
> > I've been at this for a while, and keep coming back to it with no
> > solution. I've just built the latest modesetting code for the i810
> > driver, still with no luck. I don't get better than physical 1024x768,
> > with various virtual resolutions on top of that.
> >
> > I'm looking for suggestions.
> >
> > My xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log follow.
> >
> > My sense is that the particulars of the xorg.conf file are not really
> > relevant, and that its the limitations of the i810 driver and bios.
>
> Basically, what are you trying to set up? In clone mode, you must have the same
> resolution on both displays. In Xinerama or merged fb you don't have to.
> Since your LFP is limited by 1024x768, you get only 1024x768 on your external
> device in Clone mode. You may want to play with Xinerama and MonitorLayout
> option.

That's right.  Also, when the RandR 1.2 work is done, you'll be able to
switch to using only the external monitor at runtime, which will fix
that limitation for you.  Until then, you would have to start with
MonitorLayout "CRT" to use a higher resolution external display (unless
you went dualhead).

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com