32 bits X vs. 64 bits PCI

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Oct 20 04:37:30 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 05:08:20PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Thus I'm wondering what is the status with reworking X PCI code to,
> among others, properly mmap /proc or /sys instead of /dev/mem, stop
> assuming PCI resources are 32 bits on 32 bits machines (which is broken
> on various other type of chips anyway, for example, some 44x embedded
> powerpc's have a 36 bits physical address space and typically devices
> sit above 4G), etc...
>
> I know Iain was working on a new library for putting the PCI stuff in,
> what is the status of that ?

Ian's work generally works and runs now, it just needs drivers to be
ported as well.  libpciaccess is in git, and you want the pci-rework
branch of the server.  He sent a mail a while back about the work needed
to port drivers to it, which IIRC is basically just collapsing multiple
mappings into one, and fixing the Probe function.

Cheers,
Daniel