nv driver and DVI output

gbz at hey.shacknet.nu gbz at hey.shacknet.nu
Sun Oct 22 06:03:53 PDT 2006

Hello! I have a Geforce 73 card that has both a D-sub and a DVI-i
connector. Until now, I have only used the D-sub connector for the
monitor (1024x768 px), but now I additionally connected an LCD TV
(1366x768 px) to the DVI connector. I hoped to see a cloned image on
both monitors simultaneously.

But once I rebooted, my ordinary (D-sub) monitor never showed anything
other than a completely black screen, even though there was actually a
signal received.

And the newly connected (DVI-d) TV could only display plain text
correctly. Once X started, there was only a black screen with lines in
different colours, looking a bit like this:
----- ----- ----- -----
- ----- ----- ----- -----
-- ----- ----- ----- -----
The only thing that looked OK was the mouse pointer, which could also be
moved around without any problem. This problem was the same even if only
DVI was connected and D-sub plugged out.
Thus, the DVI connector seemed unusable. It had to be plugged out if the
D-sub should display anything.

This was when the free nv driver was used. I then tried the vesa driver,
and now it was possible to have a cloned image on both monitors. The
downside though, was that it only worked with 640x480 resolution on both
monitors. Of course I want higher resolution.

So my question is, couldn't the nv driver somehow allow both monitors to
be connected at the same time, and show a cloned image at 1024x768?
I know that since hardware documentation is not made available, many
things are hard to implement. But seeing how it worked with the vesa
driver at 640x480, shouldn't the nv driver be capable of doing the same,
and even at 1024x768?
I'm only interested in using a free driver. Thanks in advance!

Packages:
nv driver 1.2.0
vesa driver 1.0.1.3
X.org server 1.0.1