Building the X.org 7.1.1 server against Mesa CVS

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 13:51:11 PDT 2006

On 10/21/06, R.L. Horn <lists at eastcheap.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
>
> > I am pursuing the angle that my compositor troubles[0] are caused by my
> > X server not being built against Mesa CVS, which is installed on my
> > machine. To that end I'm trying to recompile xorg-server 1.1.1 against a
> > Mesa CVS tree. It fails:
> >
> > $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-mesa-source=../mesa-6.5.2.cvs20061020
> > [snip]
> > Checking that the source files exist for mesa module ...
> > error:   /home/andrew/src/mesa-6.5.2.cvs20061020/src/mesa/shader/slang/
> >   library/slang_version_syn.h
> > not found
> > configure: error: Failed to link Mesa source tree.  Please specify a proper
> > path to Mesa sources, or disable GLX.
>
> Yeah, slang_version_syn.h disappeared in Mesa 6.5.1.  I ended up building
> my R7.1 server against Mesa 6.5 sources and using 6.5.1 libraries.  Seems
> to work okay, but I have a Radeon rv370 card, so my expectations aren't
> super high.
>
> If it's just a configuration hitch (i.e. the server sources don't directly
> include this header), something silly like "touch mesa/shader/slang/
> library/slang_version_syn.h" might be sufficient.
>
> As has been mentioned previously, specifying an absolute path to the Mesa
> sources is also probably a good idea.

When I googled for this file -> slang_version_syn.h,  I read somewhere
that it has been renamed to slang_pp_version_syn.h. So I just created
a symlink to it. I didn't want to create a blank file, with the same
name as touch would have done. Because I thought this header file
might declare somethings that might be required later on in the build.
I got past the configure stage but my build fails with:

/bin/sh: -D__xorgversion__="xorg-server 1.1.99.3" "X Version 11":
command not found
make  all-am
make[2]: Entering directory
`/.automount/liberator/disk/export/1/src/XGL_CVS/xserver/doc'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Xserver. at APP_MAN_SUFFIX@', needed
by `all-am'.  Stop.

So I removed the 'doc' directory from the Makefile. Now I can compile
few of the subdirectories, but get the following error:
Making all in fb
make[1]: Entering directory
`/.automount/liberator/disk/export/1/src/XGL_CVS/xserver/fb'
[snip]
ccache gcc [SNIP] -MT libfb_la-fb24_32.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/libfb_la-fb24_32.Tpo -c fb24_32.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/libfb_la-fb24_32.o
In file included from fb.h:42,
                 from fb24_32.c:31:
../render/picturestr.h:301: error: expected declaration specifiers or
'...' before 'xTrap'
../render/picturestr.h:640: error: expected declaration specifiers or
'...' before 'xTrap'

Did anyone get this problem? If so how do you fix it? Can I just
rename every occurence of 'xTrap' in file with 'xTrapezoid'?

This might be a stupid question. The git HEAD from here ->
 git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver, is the
latest X.org.7.1.1 source code right?
--
 Saru
 ECS, University of Southampton, UK