[Members] Re: disconnect from board to active developers

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Mon Oct 23 08:36:27 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 04:12:21PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I haven't seen the budget numbers so I don't know how realistic this
> would be, but would Xorg ever consider directly funding the
> development of new drivers or significant infrastructual updates?  For
> example xrandr++ or a real FB manager may have happened years ago if
> it had been funded.  I don't want to take away from individual
> contributors, but most of us only work on X in our spare time so it
> often takes a big ouside contribution or a long period to time for
> major needed changes to happen.

Having official sponsoring from the project governing body creates
a wide range of problems:

 - it creates a two class society
 - it makes people wait for some official to do the dirty work
 - last but not least it gives people beeing payid their code is going
   to go in no matter of the normal quality / community interaction
   requirements

because of that I think it's a very bad idea.

What generally works much better to get things solved is if an
interested third party sponsors developers.  That could be a google
SoC like thing, or a gnome-like bounty offered from people or companies
wanting to see a certain thing fixed.