[Members] Re: disconnect from board to active developers

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Mon Oct 23 08:39:14 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 02:27:06PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Egbert Eich wrote:
> > Do we actually know any precedence where a free project employes
> > hired people to do development work - together with contributors
> > from the community?
>
> Mozilla.

And mozilla is a very good example for a project failed in terms
of OSS community building and cooperation [1].  I wouldn't wish any
project I'm involved with to even remotely look similar to the mozilla
(lack of) community.

[1] that doesn't mean the project failed in absolute terms.  firefox and
    thunderbird definitly are an absolute success as branded software
    products in the windows world.