Member/Board Interactivity (was: Re: [Members] DRAFT airlie)

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Mon Oct 23 11:48:30 PDT 2006

Matthew Rubenstein writes:
 > 	These issues indicate a broader process problem limiting the current
 > Foundation operations. X.org has members, a board/chief, sponsors, and a
 > budget. None of them are being used to their maximum capacity (or near
 > it). The solution of course is the board planning more Foundation
 > activities for members (and associates), then spending budget on those
 > activities. Which in turn will help the Foundation raise even more
 > money, on the strength of productive activities rather than the
 > potential of the organization.

The Board would not be able to plan those activeties nor should it.
The Board should encourage people from within the community to take
charge and organize events while the Board is offering support.
This can be financial support but it may also act as a door opener
or a contact establisher.

 > 	This election will pick a new leader of the foundation. Practically
 > everyone involved is "part-time", with even secondary responsibilities
 > in other work, so delegating "production" work to members, coordinated
 > and led by the board and its leader, is the only way to manage the
 > community. As the new leader, how will you get the community to
 > contribute proposals for which activities the board should decide to
 > spend money on? A better cycle of member proposals and board decisions
 > will not only better use the time and money budgeted. It will also
 > invigorate the membership, and attract new/better members.

Matthew, there may be a misconception. There is no 'leader' of the Board.
There is the postion of the secretary who is assigned the duty for the
responsibility over the records of the organization.
But to answer your question in a somewhat different context: what should
the Board do to get the community to contribute proposals?

If we are to spend money we at first should set up a budget.
We got this for this year.
When drafting this budget a rough idea of the major events to sponsor should exist. Usually major events
require a considerable amount of planning - so it can be expected