[Members] Re: DRAFT airlie

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Mon Oct 23 13:09:15 PDT 2006

on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:00:21 +0200 Luc Verhaegen wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:08:15AM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>>
>> Meetings and events, and getting people together is a very important
>> topic.
>>
>> I would like to know where this line of "reasonable" and "made
>> sense" is. As already explained, Linuxday.at 2005 turned out to be a
>> case where this line was not shared by all board members.

I wished not to respond to this question because my view of the Board
discussion differs from the one posted, and I think there are much more
important issues on the table. Had I been aware of Linuxday.at, I would have
called for support and tried to attend. I had participated in public forums
the year preceding in Berlin and in Dresden.

I have tried to make clear my belief that industry events which offer free
booth space among open source colleagues, under the financial umbrella of
our corporate sponsors, attended by university, government, private sector,
and developer is valuable. The cost is minimal, and the booth staff is free.
I have spoken with thousands (by now) who are intensely curious about the
organization, its products, and its policies. Many active developers are
present who are interested to exchange information about their respective
organizations.

>> Linuxday.at is traditionally held the weekend after Linuxworldexpo.de,
>> and it turns out that linuxworld did have X.org representation last
>> year:
>> http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/04_03_01.php?Termin_ID=151&ID=97
>>
>> And this year there will be X.org presence once again:
>> http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/adetail.php?ID=123&Aussteller_ID=1241
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2006-October/018504.html
>>
>> I can't help but wonder if there was any X.org money involved in
>> Linuxworld 2005. This year, X.org funding does seem available.

I believe there was, but a small amount.

>> Can there be some clarity as to how this money is being spent? Also, how
>> many people have requested funding for next month, as offered in your
>> announcement?

No one (other than myself) has requested funds for this year. I will be in
Europe at that time.

Handouts and X.Org stickers were printed and distributed. Some parts of my
travel were also covered last year, as I recall.

>> To what extent do you feel does attending linuxworld benefit X.org the
>> foundation and X.org the developers and community, compared to other X
>> events?

I believe I answered this in a prior email response. But if its cost is low
-- by any measure --- and the activity is consistent with our charter (see
the ByLaws) I see no reason not to participate. What is there to compare? To
my knowledge no X events requesting funding have been denied. Developer
events tend not to have corporate decision makers present. It is important
to educate them to the nature of the tools underlying the technologies they
are using and evaluating.

I hope you will continue to organize events and ask for funding when
necessary.

Leon