Default modules to load ...

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 24 06:48:42 PDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:17:54 +0200
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de> wrote:

Add Linus to CC so maybe you'll get better answers than I can offer.

> Hm. And why don't I find this in my regularly cloned and updated git
> repository? I just noted that I wouldn't find this commit after a
> 'git-pull', but it would after a 'git-pull -t'.

"Git-pull -t" pulls down all remote tags (regardless of which branch
they're on) and then grabs all the commits they point to.  But it
won't actually pull down the full branch references.  Typically,
you don't ever need to use "-t".

"Git-pull" pulls down all the new commits for the branches you're
following, and then any tags associated with any of the commits
you pulled.

So probably the commit was made on a branch that you weren't following
in your own repository.

> However, I couldn't find a branch that this commit would fit into.
>
> It goes even further - I tried to find the branch by listing all branch
> commits and grepping - and couldn't find the commit in *ANY* branch at
> all:
> # for b in `git-branch  | cut -c3-` ; do echo $b; git-rev-list $b | grep
> 739224d05eb4f356c9cab9dcb8a44a8d7828776 ; done
>
> However - I did a new clone of the xserver repository, and suddenly the
> branches server-1.2-branch and autoconfig-for-7.2 show up, and
> everything looks good.

Git-pull does not automatically grab new branches from the remote
repository.

> So this basically boils down to the question:
>
>   How on earth am I supposed to keep up with an upstream repository, if
>   'git-pull -t' is not doing enough? Nobody can't be suggesting doing a
>   new git-clone all the time...

You shouldn't really ever need "git-pull -t"; just use "git pull".  It will
automatically grab all the tags you need.

But you will need to explicitly add new branches into your repo if you
want to follow them.  Perhaps Git could make this easier.

> This is really the downside of git. As far as I really like the concepts
> and its speed, its documentation is still a PITA. Given how many hours
> I've already spent to try to understand how to do some seemingly trivial
> task in git... :-(((

Please consider joining the Git mailing list and/or #Git on freenode IRC
because they're often the quickest way to get answers and up to speed
with Git.

> BTW - apparently there also hasn't been a commit message - how could
> something like that happen?

Not sure what you mean here, is there a commit mailing list that didn't
see this commit?

Sean