SM501 in non-pci environment

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 07:04:08 PDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Manuel Lauss <mano at roarinelk.homelinux.net> wrote:
> > >Can the SM501 driver found in  Bugzilla #312 be used
> > >in a non-pci system? I have Xorg7.1 running on a SH4
> > >system, with the SM501 attached to the host bus.
> >
> > Not at the moment.  It would need support for the local bus interface.
> > It should be possible to port the necessary bits from one of the
> > smi501 kernel FB drivers.
>
> Alright, I'll try and implement it. May take a while; I know
> nothing about X driver development yet.

I'd suggest you start with the 7.0 tarball on my site from comment 26
on bug 312.
http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/smi501.tar.gz
It works on PCI smi-501s (dualhead still has issues, but I'm working
on it).  I recently got a arm dev board with a pci smi501, so I'll be
updating the driver soonish (and eventually adding it to git) and I'd
be happy to merge your changes if you are successful.

Alex