Disable stretching in ATI driver

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Oct 24 20:49:34 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 19:54 +0200, Klaus Reimer wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
> > There have been patches floating around to disable RMX but nothing has
> > ever been applied.  You should just be able to comment out the the
> > setting of the RADEON_USE_RMX flag in the mode validation.  If I have
> > time this week I'll commit something to git.
>
> Thanks. I tried that but the result is not that nice. The 1024x768
> screen is now displayed in the  upper left corner of the 1280x800
> screen, but that's ok.

The chip has ways to do auto-centering but I haven't quite figured out
how to properly program that. Also, we don't need/want to completely
disable RMX. What we want is an option to maintain the aspect ratio or
not (nvidia binary has that I think) and best if we can toggle that
option at runtime (using Xv attributes maybe ? We lack a proper way to
toggle things like that, unless Keith new RandR++ adds arbitrary
attributes ?). Also we should probably default to maintaining the aspec
ratio. That is, we calculate the RMX factors based on the smallest of
the H and V factors and we center the resulting image.

What MacOS does is that it exposes 2 sets of modes, scaled and scaled
with aspect ratio (at least it used to, I haven't checked on recent
MacOSes) but I'd rather have a toggle attribute than doing that.

Ben.